Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Been down roads

Redemption Road ain't in this neighbourhood.
I've walked so many side walks
I know this for fact;
Streets do not forgive.
Streets remember.
The Law life lives by is this:
The only certain thing is this moment.
I have walked down roads.
Known little of the peaceful life.
From one uncertain day to the next,
among strangers I sought shelter and safety,
however brief.
At a Bible Rescue mens center
my immortal soul was traded for
three meals, a pack of smokes
and a ride to the highway.
At a Salvation Army
I napped in a pew through
three hours of fire, brimstone,
and the bloody word of God.
Poor God.
I knew if it was up to Him
He'd pull the blanket up around my shoulders,
pat my head and say
"'Night son. I'll see ya in the morning."

No comments:

Post a Comment